Sunday, December 5, 2010

What Guides You?

    As a middle school teacher, I see the influence peers have on one another, both positive and negative.  Middle schoolers are so easily buffeted this way and that, guided by that innate desire to fit in, to belong.  Their moods can vascillate from one minute to the next, solely because of a comment or a look from another person.  Some adults, too, allow external forces to guide their moods and decisions.  Are you having a "bad hair" day?  Did your horoscope tell you this would be a two-star day or a five-star day?  Were you late to work because of some old geeezer in front of you?  Why do we so willingly attribute our moods and behavior to these external forces when we have no control over anyone but ourselves?  I choose, instead, to place the reason for my sometimes erratic mood swings and actions where it belongs - on myself.  Because if I blame someone or something else, then I am giving up control of me.  I like to be in control.  That's why I sometimes struggle listening to God, who is the Guiding Force in my life.  Because He likes to be in control, too; in fact, He IS in control, but sometimes I won't admit it. Having God as the guiding force in my life brings me so many blessings, not the least of which is sharing my thoughts through this blog.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment